Here is a brief history of me, what I do and why I could be your best friend
Nice to meet you, I’m Michael. You can call me Michael, Mike, Mikey, or Jack. I am a designer.
With 15 years of experience being a curious designer in public and private sectors, agency and contracting roles for clients of all sizes, specialising in designing clean interfaces, as well as designing services and products from discovery to launch.
Combining digital craftsmanship with innovative thinking, I tell memorable stories using strategy, research, visual design, and user-centered design approach on complex design problems.
I'm passionate about all of my work, giving my 100% in each project, totally committing to delivering a solution of a high standard.
To see part of my employment history, check out my Experiences further down the page.
Besides enjoying pixel-perfection (who doesn't I hear you ask), I'm also a big fan of my brilliant little family, football (LA Galaxy!), craft beers, (ex)runner, grower of veg, game player, huge fan of bad jokes, serial cake tester, Disney films and listening to a lot of music and podcasts.
What I’m known for:
- Instigating a design process at Sky Bet and led the team through growth and assisted in getting design internally valued
- Lead designer of Sky Sports Super 6, and facilitated workshops, user research to assist in getting the app to top of the iPhone download charts
- Lead designer and front-end developer at Premier Food Safety, pushing the company to be a market leader in America
- Helped the team at Jet2 to re-design and develop Jet2.com and Jet2holidays
- Brought into many leading agencies from Manchester, Leeds and Los Angeles to act as design lead on multiple projects
- Previous experience include projects for Department for Work and Pensions, Remington, Jet2.com, British Airways, Argos, Regatta amongst others
What I’m aiming for:
- Giving back to the design community. I can provide time and feedback, giving advice to younger students/new starters or even “none designers” regarding portfolios, resumes, or the first step into a new career. Book time with me here!
- To host or be in a podcast, let me know if you need a guest!
- Make a difference in the world, by using design as a tool to help make people’s lives easier.
Clients - past and present.
GOV.UK, Sky Bet, Sky Sports, British Airways, ITV, Regatta, Argos, Manchester City, Jet2, Remington, Premier Food Safety.
Also known for.
Running a mentoring program - supporting those in need who can’t, for whatever reason, attend a college/university course, taking them through the journey of discovery of role and learning and giving tasks to applying for a role and supporting for as long as they need.
Senior Interaction Designer @Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
Senior Digital Designer @Skybet
Freelance Digital Designer and Front-end Developer @Michael Cattell Design Limited
Lead User Interface / Interaction Designer and Front-end Developer @Premier Food Safety
The rest is on my LinkedIn page!
I worked with JILL WINTER at Premier Food Safety, where I mentored Jill within the design team.
“Michael is a fantastic mentor and talented designer. I worked with him on many design projects at Premier Food Safety, both print and web. He is always willing to lend his design expertise, assist on projects, and work out design issues. He spent many hours teaching me complex programs and design techniques. For this and his great sense of humor, I cannot express enough gratitude.”
I worked with ANTHONY DEVINE at Craghoppers, where we worked as design and front-end developers on multiple sites.
“Michael came in to help with our new season launch as we had 3 sites launching within a few months of each other. Michael was fantastic; he was very professional, organised and experienced. The sites have certainly moved forward from him working with us and his years of knowledge helped myself develop in responsive design”